Another week and So. Much. Progress. for this Tuesday Tidbits post! I’ll just get right into it, because there is a lot this week.
The upstairs guest suite has everything done except the shower glass install (leaned up against the wall) and carpet. Otherwise it is done! All touch-ups, lights, etc!
Funny story about the next pic: Trent was gone for a few days over the weekend and I was at the house working. If you live in our area, you know that on Sunday it was windy. And raining. And fall decided to show up for one short day (I’m ready for the real fall weather anytime). The house naturally has some creaks to it…it’s 150 years old. I’ve figured out most of them but on Sunday there was a new sound and I may or may not have walked around the house 16 times thinking someone was there. I heard a door opening and closing. No. This is not a ghost story…sorry to disappoint. It took me some time before I remembered that the door in the living room is padlocked shut (because the doorknob is missing). Every time the wind would gust the door would creak open about an inch. Then it would slowly creak closed. I laughed at myself once I figured it out.
The kitchen prep sink is all put together and looks exactly like the main sink, but half the size. We have had a prep sink one other time and loved it!
We have been installing all the window trim as I finish up each piece. There will be weeks of caulk and touch up paint, but it’s so nice to have this part going together. If you remember WAY back to when we were gutting the old walls out of the house, we found that after the massive house fire (in the 1920’s) they didn’t gut the main floor. Instead they added another layer of plaster to the walls (this was a common practice then). So, when we removed the walls instead of just removing one layer of plaster and wood lath, we had TWO layers. But when we put the house back together we only put in one layer of drywall. Long story short: all of our rooms became several inches larger (actually feet in a few rooms) and the window trim does not set perfectly against the wall.
Instead, we have about a 1.5″ gap . We decided to bring in some additional trim and will install that on the sides to cover the gap. I think it will beef the window trim up even more (although it’s already fairly massive)…but when it comes to this kind of stuff, bigger truly IS better!
And while we are talking about trim (drumroll, please), I have FINISHED the window trim! I knew it would not take me 4 months. I still have all the original door jambs to scrape, sand, prime and paint…but they should actually move quickly by comparison.
And finally, Trent has raised some eyebrows in the past few days. Stuff has started being delivered to the house that appears to be more decor and less building items. Yes, yes those are decor items. Bar stools, rugs, random pieces I have found that were too perfect to pass up.When the huge rug showed up, Trent asked where I planned to put it. I just shrugged and said I have no idea yet, but since we have about 3,500 sq ft of hardwood flooring I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to find a home for it.
As always, thank you for following along and have a wonderful week!