It’s been another busy week for us on the house! However, this Tuesday Tidbits is all about doors. As you know from last week’s posts, I’ve been stripping the original doors all week. However, I am now down to the last side on the last door! I’m trying desperately to not think about the trim, casing, windows, window trim, etc still left to do.
This is it! The last original door losing 160 years worth of stain, paint and who knows what else!
Meanwhile, Trent has been working on 2 other doors. These 2 doors are special and we have put them off for a LONG time! We managed to save all the main floor doors (which remarkably are original). They are all solid, 4 panel, super tall doors. When we ordered new doors for the upstairs (not as tall), we wanted them to be a perfect match. We ordered solid 4 panel doors that are extremely close to the original ones…but we had 2 special doors that could not be ordered. They each have an angle due to our unique ceiling/roof line. We talked to numerous people about making these 2 custom doors, but no one wanted to do it (and I really couldn’t blame them). Trent decided early on that we would make them. Honestly, I just assumed we would order 2 doors and slice ’em down the angle. Trent started explaining that we needed them to match the 4 panels and have the panels appear to have been made with the angle. Long story short, he managed to pull it off and they look perfect! When you look at the pictures below, keep in mind that they will be getting re-painted…but I thought it would be nice to show you the raw look, so that you can see how Trent put them together.
**Most of our projects are doable by anyone. A little research, a lot of patience and some consistency allows just about any house project to be completed. This is not one of those projects! I don’t even understand half of what Trent tried explaining to me.**
We ordered 2 doors with their door jambs and 1 identical door with no jamb. Trent started with the saw. I just kept repeating “measure twice, cut once!”
The first door cuts were made on the individual door (without the door jamb).
Then Trent did some crazy math and started cutting in ways that caused me to truly doubt his method. It looked like the cookie monster took a bite out of our door.
Then Trent matched up one if the spare parts and started cutting it as a puzzle piece to fit in.
I still had some serious doubts until this next part…it finally clicked what Trent was trying to do.
Crazy!!! All the panel lines totally match up and it looks like the doors were actually born this way. Naturally, Trent had to cut the door jambs to match and then he calked all the cracks, sanded everything down and we were ready to hang them.
It’s a good thing we didn’t go with my plan (to just cut a door down on the angle and call it good).
The other door turned out great too!
I would have never been able to figure this one out! I did find an online tutorial that Trent totally followed…and obviously it worked. I hope you never need to do this type of project, but if you do this tutorial is the best! While it claims it is for hollow doors, it obviously works for solid doors as well.
On a completely different note, some of the scarecrows are up in downtown Buchanan. I know it’s early for fall decor, but I love fall…so I don’t care! If you have never driven through downtown Buchanan during fall, you need to do so this year! It’s the cutest! And our Trick-or-Treat is something right out of a movie.
Have a wonderful week and thank you for following along!